On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 10:17 AM John Muehlhausen <j...@jgm.org> wrote:

> "pyarrow is intended as a developer-facing library, not a user-facing one"
>
> Is that really the core issue?  I doubt you would want to add this proposed
> logic to pandas even though it is user-facing, because then pandas will
> either have to re-implement what it means to read a batch (to respect
> length when it is smaller than array length) or else rely on the single
> blessed custom metadata for doing this, which doesn't make it custom
> anymore.

What you have proposed in your PR amounts to an alteration of the IPC
format to suit this use case. This pushes complexity onto _every_
implementation that will need to worry about a "truncated" record
batch. I'd rather avoid this unless it is truly the only way.

Note that we serialize a significant amount of custom metadata already
to address pandas-specific issues, and have not had to make any
changes to the columnar format as a result.

> I think really your concern is that perhaps nobody wants this but me,
> therefore it should not be in arrow or pandas regardless of whether it is
> user-facing?  But, if that is your thinking, is it true?  What is our
> solution to the locality/latency problem for systems that ingest and
> process concurrently, if not this solution?  I do see it as a general
> problem that needs at least the beginnings of a general solution... not a
> "custom" one.

We use the custom_metadata fields to implement a number of built-in
things in the project, such as extension types. If enough people find
this useful, then it can be promoted to a formalized concept. As far
as I can tell, you have developed quite a bit of custom code related
to this for your application, including manipulating Flatbuffers
metadata in place to maintain the populated length, so the barrier to
entry to being able to properly take advantage of this is rather high.

> Also, I wonder whether it is true that pyarrow avoids smart/magical
> things.  The entire concept of a "Table" seems to be in that category?  The
> docs specifically mention that it is for convenience.

Table arose out of legitimate developer need. There are a number of
areas of the project that would be much more difficult if we had to
worry about regularizing column chunking at any call site that returns
an in-memory dataset.

> I'd like to focus on two questions:
> 1- What is the Arrow general solution to the locality/latency tradeoff
> problem for systems that ingest and process data concurrently?  This
> proposed solution or something else?  Or if we propose not to address the
> problem, why?
> 2- What will the proposed change negatively impact?  It seems that all we
> are talking about is respecting batch length if arrays happen to be longer.

I'm suggesting to help you solve the post-read truncation problem
without modifying the IPC protocol. If you want to make things work
for the users without knowledge, I think this can be achieved through
a plug-in API to define a metadata handler-callback to apply the
truncation to the record batches.