> Somewhat related, but are there any thoughts about growing the Java
> developer community generally? Perhaps we could do some outreach to
> other Java-focused Apache communities (Iceberg comes to mind, but
> there may be others)?

I'm all for this.  I think one of the things that we are lacking a little
bit on the Java side of things is a clear idea of what we want to build
into Apache Arrow proper.  For instance, in the past, I've been -0.5
on trying to replicate the work that is on-going on the C++ side of things,
but maybe we should reconsider that? Or at least more JNI bindings?
Getting more input on this would be useful especially from those outside
the community.  I still think a strong set of adapter libraries, especially
if we can make them "best of class" in performance would be beneficial for
adoption.

Not directly related, but it would be nice if Java contributors could
> fill the holes in the 0.16.0 release blog post.  Currently the Java
> section is empty:
> https://github.com/apache/arrow-site/pull/41

I put a few bullet points in.