I should also add that we could (with some effort) use the
MetadataVersion V4/V5 indicator to offer backward compatibility for
old serialized union data

In any case, if there is consensus about this, we would need to have a
vote and get busy with implementing and testing the changes. I could
assist with the C++ changes