We do need a PMC member to sign the release artifacts. Aside from
that, IMHO there is a lot that can be done to improve the automation
around producing the release artifacts and preparing the release
branch.

As Krisztian can attest, producing a release currently requires a
_lot_ of human time (and time is money). Now that we've gone through
this process to produce 28 major and patch releases, I think it is
time (and probably well overdue) to improve the release artifact
"stamping" process to be more fully automated so that all that's
required of a PMC member is to obtain the staged artifacts from a
secure location, sign them, and then push them to ASF dist.