Per a previous discussion
(https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/b15726d0c0da2223ba1b45a226ef86263f688b20532a30535cd5e267%40%3Cdev.arrow.apache.org%3E)
and the resulting JIRA issue ARROW-7396
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARROW-7396) there is a desire
to register the arrow format with the IANA as a formal media type
(actually two media types, one for the streaming format and one for
the file format).

The form for applying is here: https://www.iana.org/form/media-types

I have created a draft registration document (link below).

The only fields with any real flexibility are "Security
Considerations", "Interoperability Considerations", and "Application
Usage".  I reviewed the applications for XML, JSON, and Thrift and
I've made a best attempt at these fields as well as posted examples
from the other languages.  Please review and feel free to suggest
changes.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PmZFoSifV_TX4vXnv775WiOtqCgz5zLF5ryFRWio3HQ/edit?usp=sharing

One we align on the content we should probably have a PMC member
actually make the submission and be listed as contact person.

Thanks,

Weston Pace
Ursa Computing