On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 5:27 AM Andrew Lamb <al...@influxdata.com> wrote:

> For what it is worth, my experience with some SQL databases has been the
> opposite -- ordering can and does differ from statement to statement if the
> clause has a GROUP BY but no ORDER BY).

Is this a security issue? If the GROUP BY results aren't repeatable, then
the ordering must come from some state internal to the server. Could a
clever caller reverse-engineer that state to find out what's in the
server's RAM?

For instance, if a 12-row result's ordering cycles through 25 permutations
repeatedly, then Alice can memorize the pattern. With that information she
can detect, in a given amount of time, how many times Bob ran the same
query.

Adam

--
Adam Hooper