There have been some concrete issues with Jira spam / vandalism in the
past, and having individuals in the Contributor role increases the
amount of damage that they can do. For example, I believe if you have
the Contributor role you can delete issues and other sorts of
malfeasance. If they aren't in the role, the worst they can do is spam
new issues (which has indeed occurred).

We could ask Infra if they are willing to turn off this constraint and
wait and see if it becomes a problem.