I prefer the lz4 frame format for the reasons that Antoine stated.

To be friendly to users, the Arrow IPC documentation could mention
that lz4 compression may break Java interoperability. If block
dependency is the only obstacle to Java interoperability, the Arrow
IPC implementation could disable this flag as an _implementation
detail_. But I think that the _specification_ of lz4 compression in
the Arrow IPC format should not carve out exceptions to accommodate
current (temporary, I hope) implementation shortfalls in lz4
libraries.

Is https://github.com/lz4/lz4-java the fast Java lz4 library in
question? The incompleteness of this implementation is a known problem
for other user communities, not only Arrow. It would be a great public
service to improve it so that it fully implements the lz4 frame
specification.

Steve