Thanks for the feedback.  A couple of points here and some responses below.

* One other question is whether the Nanoseconds should actually be
configurable (i.e. use milliseconds or microseconds).  I would lean towards
no.

* I'm also still not 100% convinced we need this as a first class type in
arrow or if we should be looking more closely at the Struct (in the Arrow
sense) based implementation.  In the future where alternative encodings are
supported, this could allow for much smaller footprints for this type.

The 3
> field implementation doesn't seem to have any way to represent integral
> days, so I am also not sure about that one.

Sorry this was an email gaffe.  I intended Month (32 bit int), Day (32 bit
int), Nanosecond (64 bit int).

OTOH I don't really understand the point of supporting "the most
> reasonable ranges for Year, Month and Nanoseconds independently".  What
> does it bring to encode more than one month in the nanoseconds field?

I'm happy with simplicity.   In the past there has been some reference to
people wanting to store very large timestamps (fall out of Nanoseconds max
representable value) but we've concluded that this wasn't something that we
wanted to really support.