Following on from the email thread "Rust sync meeting" I would like to
start a new discussion about moving the Rust components out to new GitHub
repositories and using a new process for issues and release management.

I have started a Google document [1] with details and to track the work
required for this effort but I will summarize the key points of the
proposal here:

   -

   Move existing Rust code into two new repositories
   -

      apache/arrow-rs
      -

         Arrow + Parquet crates
         -

      apache/datafusion
      -

         DataFusion + Ballista crates (which are expected to merge to some
         degree over time)
         -

         TPC-H benchmarks
         -

      Use GitHub issues for issue tracking
      -

   Decouple release process
   -

      Crates are released individually
      -

      A vote on the source release of the released crate is held over the
      mailing list as usual.
      -

      Rust does not need to release a new version when the rest of Arrow
      releases; we bundle our latest released crates to the signed tar.
      -

      Crates can depend on GitHub commit hashes between releases

The Google document may be the best place to collaborate on the proposal
but I can update the document based on any comments in this email thread as
well.

Note that I have excluded discussion about arrow2/parquet2 from this
proposal and I believe we should discuss that separately as a follow-on
discussion.

I look forward to hearing opinions on this both from current Rust
maintainers and contributors and also from the wider Arrow community.

Thanks,

Andy.

[1]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TyrUP8_UWXqk97a8Hvb1d0UYWigch0HAephIjW7soSI/edit?usp=sharing