Hi Krisztian,

Thanks for bringing this up. This is definitely becoming a high-priority topic for Arrow development.

I don't believe there is much opportunity for reducing the number of builds or their runtime. We simply have a lot of development going on, and the number of different CI jobs we have is simply because we need to support many different configurations (and past experience has shown that they quickly stop working if we don't monitor them on a regular basis).

So I think the only path forward is to build up (== buy, probably) our own execution resources for CI. Whether that entails using Github self-hosted runners, Buildkite, or yet another system, I have no idea.

I'll submit two requirements though:
- the configuration for CI builds must be kept in the Arrow repository
  (as they are currently in .github, etc.)
- CI builds must be runnable from PRs

Regards

Antoine.