I wouldn't be too excited about this. Here are my thoughts:

1. Having the format/ directory in apache/arrow be a submodule would be
cumbersome and error-prone for developers. The only submodules we have
right now are optional testing dependencies — not having these initialized
and updated does not result in a broken project, whereas this change would.
We have a copy of parquet.thrift from apache/parquet-format for similar
reasons.

2. So based on #1, we would want to maintain a copy of the format files in
apache/arrow, even if there were a separate apache/arrow-format repository.
The format files are slow-moving enough that I don't think it's burdensome
to mirror these into satellite repositories like arrow/arrow-rs.