Le 09/06/2021 à 17:52, Micah Kornfield a écrit :

Adding a new first-class type in Arrow requires working integration tests
between C++ and Java libraries (once the idea is informally agreed upon)
and then a final vote for approval.  We haven't formalized extension types
but I imagine a similar cross language requirement would be agreed upon.
Implementation of computation wouldn't be required for adding a new type.
Different language bindings have taken different approaches on how much
additional computational elements are packaged in them.

While dedicated types are not strictly required, compute functions would be much easier to add for a first-class dedicated complex datatype rather than for an extension type.

Since complex numbers are quite common in some domains, and since they are conceptually simply, IMHO it would make sense to add them to the native Arrow datatypes (at least COMPLEX64 and COMPLEX128).

Regards

Antoine.