Hi All,

Fiona La (Cc'd) and I recently worked together with Kou to integrate some
changes to the MATLAB interface (pull request:
https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/10614). Fiona and I pair programmed the
implementation together on "one machine", using my GitHub account to push
commits. We used GitHub's support for Co-authored-by tags
(https://docs.github.com/en/github/committing-changes-to-your-project/creating-and-editing-commits/creating-a-commit-with-multiple-authors)
 to include Fiona's name on every commit. We thought this would be sufficient
to ensure that her name was included in the main Apache Arrow git history after
the commits were squashed and integrated by Kou. Unfortunately, it looks like
her name was dropped from the list of Co-authors during integration.

In order to ensure that all contributors to the project get credit:

  1.  Is there an existing, recommended best practice for pair programming on
pull requests that ensures all contributors get credit?
     *   We realized after the pull request was integrated that Fiona may have
gotten credit if she pushed at least one commit from a separate GitHub account.
Although, we aren't 100% sure if this true.
  2.  It looks like
https://github.com/apache/arrow/blob/master/dev/merge_arrow_pr.py does not
support the Co-authored-by tag workflow on individual commits described above.
     *   We are interested in opening a pull request to modify
merge_arrow_pr.py to add support for this workflow.
  3.  Is there a way to retroactively add Fiona's name to the git history for
https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/10614 so she receives credit?

Thank you!

Kevin Gurney