One issue with changing it to byte is it would effectively break any reader
that is validating flatbuffer data, because flatbuffers verifies null
termination [1].  While this might comply with forward compatibility
guarantees it seems like a pretty large blast radius.

[1]
https://github.com/google/flatbuffers/blob/master/include/flatbuffers/flatbuffers.h#L2457