Hi Sarah,
For new consumers of the library setting it to true probably makes sense.
For Arrow itself, it is a breaking change (it breaks field naming and exact
round tripping) which is why we haven't flipped it yet.

More discussion is happening on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARROW-14196

Cheers,
Micah