+1

-----Original Message-----
From: Sutou Kouhei <k...@clear-code.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2022 11:43 AM
To: dev@arrow.apache.org
Subject: Merge a pull request with GitHub API

Hi,

How about using GitHub API instead of local "git merge" to merge a pull request?

We use local "git merge" to merge a pull request in dev/merge_arrow_pr.py.

If we use "git merge" to merge a pull request, GitHub's Web UI shows "Closed"
mark not "Merged" mark in a pull request page. This sometimes confuses new
contributors. "Why was my pull request closed without merging?" See
https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/12004#issuecomment-1031619771
for example.

If we use GitHub API
https://docs.github.com/en/rest/pulls/pulls#merge-a-pull-request
to merge a pull request, GitHub's Web UI shows "Merged" mark not "Closed" mark.
See
https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/13180 for example. I used GitHub API to
merge the pull request.

And we don't need to create a local branch on local repository to merge a pull
request. But we must specify ARROW_GITHUB_API_TOKEN to run
dev/merge_arrow_pr.py.

See also:

* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARROW-16602
* https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/13184