Hi all,

I drafted a second PR [1] drafting a design for storing parsed information
obtained from a struct ArrowSchema (i.e., parsing the format string into
usable C structures). There are some unsolved problems that could use a
fresh perspective...all comments welcome!

[1] https://github.com/paleolimbot/arrow-c/pull/5

On Fri, Jun 10, 2022 at 12:27 PM Dewey Dunnington <de...@voltrondata.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As promised, I converted the design document [1] into an initial PR [2].
> Rather than draft the whole header, I started with README + implementations
> + testing for error handling and schema allocation (depending on feedback,
> next week I will draft another reviewable chunk).
>
> Also feel free to suggest another place to put this if one exists (the
> choice to put it in its own repo was based on informal feedback that
> perhaps that might be the best way to go).
>
> [1]
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/11n7ICVZO8exZ-z3GRlI26VLzKPXlYlEz5xjLl1y0ujU/edit?usp=sharing
> [2] https://github.com/paleolimbot/arrow-c/pull/1/files
>
> On Fri, Jun 3, 2022 at 12:41 PM Dewey Dunnington <de...@voltrondata.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Based on the points raised above and a few adventures implementing some
>> of this in related projects, I put together a brief design document
>> proposing a scope and structure to perhaps solidify a few of these
>> discussions:
>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/11n7ICVZO8exZ-z3GRlI26VLzKPXlYlEz5xjLl1y0ujU/edit?usp=sharing
>> .
>>
>> Any and all should feel free to add, rewrite, or propose a new
>> structure...I wrote many of the pieces for argument's sake or because
>> that's how I'd implemented them before.
>>
>> Next week I will phrase it as a skeleton header (like the one in the
>> excellent ADBC design discussions) depending on feedback to keep the
>> discussion going!
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> -dewey
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 3, 2022 at 9:57 AM Hannes Mühleisen <han...@duckdblabs.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello List,
>>>
>>> we at DuckDB are happy users of the Arrow C Data Interface and use it to
>>> feed SQL queries and also use it to provide query results in Arrow format
>>> again. It is particularly appealing to us that the interface is merely a
>>> (C) header file that we just ship with our source code [1]. Internally,
>>> our
>>> implementation then constructs DuckDB internal vectors from the Arrow
>>> format [2] or vice-versa [3].
>>>
>>> As you can see from [2, 3] there is some complexity in getting the
>>> conversion right, especially for more complex data types like nested
>>> types
>>> (list, strings). A lightweight, dependency-free library to help
>>> constructing those would certainly be appreciated. What would also help a
>>> lot is validation code, Arrow structures are very delicate and one wrong
>>> pointer can lead to disaster (which is then blamed on us), so a way to
>>> verify the structures in said lightweight library would be very helpful.

> [...]
>>> [2]
>>> https://github.com/duckdb/duckdb/blob/master/src/function/table/arrow.cpp