Thanks for the feedback - I've created the following to request changes to
the ARROW project issue assignment scheme:

Duncan: It's particularly helpful to get your feedback on friction you
experience as a recent first-time contributor. I'd very much like to hear
more about the gaps you perceived and challenges you faced. I created
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARROW-17447 to track this feedback -
please feel free to add context there.