This is a great discussion to have. Thank you for raising it.

We actually used to do fewer major releases and more minor releases (which
was done by backporting API compatible changes to an active_release
branch). However this took significant maintainer time (mostly my own, as I
recall), though it was fairly mechanical.

About 6 months ago, we had a discussion [1] where I believe the consensus
of those who weighed in was for more frequent major releases to free up
maintainer time. As our community has grown and we have more people
volunteering, it is a good time to revisit this discussion and decide if it
is time to change again.

Perhaps you could open an issue or discussion in the arrow-rs repository
and we could discuss the merits there?

Andrew

[1]: https://github.com/apache/arrow-rs/issues/1120