Hi Matt,
I don't think we've discussed try to schema evolution formally to the
spec.  It would likely be something nice to have especially for simple
evolution like adding columns but it is probably a long process and would
need someone to drive it (create an RFC, gaining consensus and making sure
two implementations have implementation).  I can also see the argument that
these decisions belong with individual implementations.

I haven't had a chance to review Weston's doc but I imagine the work on
Datasets once implemented could cover your use case?

Thanks,
Micah