I think this [1] is the thread where the policy was proposed, but it
doesn't look like we ever settled on "Java and C++" vs. "any two
implementations", or had a vote.

I worry that requiring maintainers to add new format features to two
"complete" implementations will just lead to fragmentation. People might
opt to maintain a fork rather than unblock themselves by implementing a
backlog of features they don't need.

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/9t0pglrvxjhrt4r4xcsc1zmgmbtr8pxj