Below is a summary of the notes from today's meeting:

Attendees:

- Ian Cook
- Raúl Cumplido
- Xuwei Fu
- Will Jones
- Bryce Mecum
- Rok Mihevc
- Sri Nadukudy
- Ashish Paliwal
- Dane Pitkin
- David Dali Susanibar Arce
- Matthew Topol
- Joris Van den Bossche
- Jacob Wujciak

12.0.0 release

- Code freeze is scheduled for later today, April 12
- There are many nightly failures currently on main; Raúl and Jacob
have opened several blocker issues and we might need to create more
- Discussion of several current issues that might affect the release
   - C# tests not finding Python
   - PyArrow tests slowness on Windows [1]
   - PyArrow wheels on Windows not uploading to Gemfury
- Important items to mention in release changelog, release blog, etc.
  - Drop support for Ubuntu 18.04 [2]
  - Acero refactor (splitting Acero out from core Arrow library) [3]
  - Fixed shape tensor extension type [4]
  - Run-end encoded layout [5]
  - Plasma removal [6] and suggested alternatives [7]
  - Reminder about Jira to GitHub move (which happened just before the
11.0.0 release)
  - Initial Swift implementation [8]
  - nanoarrow (not technically a part of this release, but worth
drawing attention to) [9]
  - Also see ASF board report

Parquet tickets are still tracked in the ASF Jira

- We have to maintain a lot of code in Archery, etc. to automate the
tracking of Parquet C++ issues which are still in Jira, even though
there are only a few Parquet issues in each release (4 for 12.0.0)
  - PARQUET-2201 Add stress test for RecordReader ReadRecords and
SkipRecords. (#14879)
  - PARQUET-2225 Allow reading dense with RecordReader (#17877)
  - PARQUET-2232 Add an api to ColumnChunkMetaData to indicate if the
column chunk uses a bloom filter (#33736)
  - PARQUET-2250 Expose column descriptor through RecordReader (#34318)
- Can we move the Parquet C++ issues from the ASF Jira to GitHub?
- Joris believes we can go ahead and do this; the Parquet Rust
implementation did something similar
- There are already some Parquet issues that were reported and
resolved in the Arrow monorepo in this release without ever being
opened as Parquet Jira issues [10]
- Check with Micah Kornfield, Fatemah Panah
- There was a related Parquet mailing list discussion about this in
February [11]

[1] https://github.com/apache/arrow/issues/35078
[2] https://github.com/apache/arrow/issues/33800
[3] https://lists.apache.org/thread/5h5g9k9lvbybzl8fnbg4fppxczm42g6r