We originally agreed to treat the ADBC APIs as a specification, requiring votes
for updates to the specification.

To that end, this PR [1] proposes new APIs for ADBC to cover various gaps
identified, to clarify some language, and to make things consistent with the
Flight SQL proposals discussed earlier [2]. In addition, assuming the
ArrowDeviceArray proposal [3] is accepted the PR will be updated again to
support the new types.

The definitions are backwards compatible, with some messiness in C/C++ around
one struct. The plan is to merge the new APIs into a branch, then merge
implementations into that branch, before bringing things back for a final
review/vote.

Any feedback would be welcome.

Incidentally: proposals for C# [4] and Rust [5] now exist. I'd like to treat
both of them as 'experimental', in the sense that we will merge them without
formal vote for now while we implement the APIs, so we can work out any
revisions before the formal vote.

[1]: https://github.com/apache/arrow-adbc/pull/692
[2]: https://lists.apache.org/thread/247z3t06mf132nocngc1jkp3oqglz7jp
[3]: https://lists.apache.org/thread/o2hsw7o1gm3qgw5z51rmz6zqxh0p7bvk