I am in favor of this proposal. IMO the Arrow project is the right place to
standardize both the interoperability *and operability* of columnar data
layouts. Data engines are a core component of the Arrow ecosystem and the
project should be able to grow with these data engines as they converge on
new layouts. Since columnar data is ubiquitous in analytical workloads, we
are seeing a natural progression into optimizing those workloads. This
includes new lossless compression schemes for columnar data that allows
engines to operate directly on the compressed data (e.g. RLE). If we can't
reliably support the growing needs of the broader data engine ecosystem in
a timely manner, then I also fear Arrow might lose relevancy over time.