Apparently, we never managed to test the C API support in the C# library on
downlevel versions of .NET until now, and they don't actually work :(. This
gap is in part because the tests don't get run on anything but .NET 7.0.
I've submitted a PR to address these issues, though the testing for .NET
4.7.2 is disabled because it causes a hang on shutdown when xUnit tries to
unload the AppDomain.

GH-36812: [C#] Fix C API support to work with .NET desktop framework by
CurtHagenlocher · Pull Request #36813 · apache/arrow (github.com)
<https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/36813>

I'd like to consider this a blocking bug.