Union format strings share enough properties that having them in the
same switch case doesn't result in additional complexity...lists and
list views are completely different types (for the purposes of parsing
the format string). Is there any reason *not* to use +v and +V? The
switch statements used to parse the format string are already rather
unwieldy...it would be a nice quality-of-life improvement (although by
no means a required one) to use a separate character.