Hello Divyansh,

First, and foremost, I would like to call your attention to what Nic said
here:

It looks like you're trying to set up
> a Docker image based on one of our CI jobs which builds the docs for
> multiple Arrow implementations, which I wouldn't recommend, as it involves
> a lot more steps than you need for an R dev setup, and probably won't be
> that useful for the specific task of getting a working R dev setup on
> Docker.

This is absolutely correct — the docker-compose file that you're looking at
is intended for our CI and if what you're trying to do is update the docs,
getting the ubuntu-cpp docker image to build locally will both be way more
complicated than necessary and might not even accomplish what you're
looking for. I highly encourage you to follow Nic's advice here. They are
trying to help and ignoring that help is not going to get you where you
want to go.

As for the gist, I see a number of problems:
(1) It looks like you never ran `docker-compose build ubuntu-docs` which
might be the first, biggest issue there. You allude to having built it in
your most recent email, but it's not in the gist, so I'm not sure if you
did and didn't include it or what.
(2) It looks like you've taken only the `ubuntu-docs` service from the
docker-compose.yml file from the root of the arrow directory and placed it
in its own separate docker-compose.yml file. This isn't going to work
because there are a number of dependencies on other services (see the usage
section where it says to build `ubuntu-cpp` and `ubuntu-python` first?
that's what that's about). Editing the `docker-compose.yml` file takes a
lot of care + detailed knowledge of our setup as well as the project
generally.
(3) Like I noted in (2), I don't see any references you make to building
the dependent services `ubuntu-cpp` and `ubuntu-python` which are required
for `ubuntu-docs`. This is also alluded to in the last section of the
linked documentation [1]. If you're going to pursue using the docker images
for CI locally, I highly encourage you to learn how to use archery to do
so. (but see below, I like others in this thread do not encourage this!)
(4) I've just finished building `ubuntu-cpp` locally using the commands in
the usage section [2] and it completed successfully through the R
documentation [6] — so the docker-compose file that is there + those
services work if you follow the usage section using the unedited
`docker-compose.yml` file.

But again, like Nic says: I highly encourage you not to take this approach
of trying to run the CI docker containers. Instead, I recommend you follow
the other developer documentation [3], [4], [5] especially that first one
for the issue of re-rendering the R documentation.

Finally, on an etiquette point: I noticed a second thread on the mailing
list pointing to this same issue. I know that you're not super familiar
with the community yet, but starting multiple threads like that is not
something we do here. It's confusing because different people might respond
to each thread and not realize that an issue has already been resolved.

[1] –
https://arrow.apache.org/docs/r/articles/developers/docker.html#example---using-archery
[2] –
https://github.com/apache/arrow/blob/cda7ffc67abf6c8b9170cc2606acf1a704b161eb/docker-compose.yml#L1755-L1758
[3] –
https://arrow.apache.org/docs/r/articles/developers/workflow.html#rebuilding-the-documentation
[4] – https://arrow.apache.org/docs/dev/r/articles/developers/setup.html
(note: this is a link to our dev site because this process has changed
slightly recently — which should be much improved and easier to use now!)
[5] – https://arrow.apache.org/docs/r/articles/developing.html
[6] – There was an issue with a connection reset in maven and the java
build at the very end, but that's not relevant to what you're doing here.

-Jon