The advantage to system-wide registration of drivers (however that's
accomplished) is of course that it allows driver authors to provide a
single installer or set of instructions for the driver to be installed
without regard for different usage scenarios. So if Tableau and Excel can
both use ODBC drivers, then I (as a hypothetical author of a niche driver)
don't have to solve N installation problems for N possible use cases. And
my spouse (as a non-developer finance user) can just run one installer and
know that the data source will be available in multiple tools. Or at least
that's the principle.

For a real-world example, compare the instructions for installing ODBC
drivers into Tableau (
https://help.tableau.com/current/pro/desktop/en-us/examples_otherdatabases.htm
) with those for installing JDBC drivers (
https://help.tableau.com/current/pro/desktop/en-us/examples_otherdatabases_jdbc.htm
). The JDBC instructions include copying or installing files to a specific
directory which possibly needs to be created. The ODBC instructions ...
don't.

With what I'm most immediately invested in -- database drivers for
Microsoft Power BI -- part of the problem actually ends up being that many
drivers are closed source and/or not freely redistributable. So for someone
to use Power BI with Oracle, they either need a way to install Oracle
drivers onto their machine in a standard way which lets us find them or we
need to go through a painful and sometimes expensive "biz dev" effort to
get the right to redistribute those drivers and install them ourselves.

I am of course aware that there can also be significant downsides to such
system-wide registration.

-Curt