I think it is a great idea -- github has served arrow (and datafusion) very
well in my opinion.

Specifically, having to sign up for a JIRA account (which can not be
created self-service) adds a small, but real barrier to engagement and
contribution.

Removing the barrier I think encourages more contributions, especially
casual contributions

Andrew