Just to follow up - as i've progressed on putting together tooling for
building artifacts on a regular basis [1], splitting out the packaging
tooling seems like the most sane approach.  In addition to the reasons
already mentioned w.r.t. tagging, it will be much easier to manage
isolation of the source tree/tags and the build tooling tree/tags if they
are separate.

Jake has gone ahead and created a repo [2].  I will replay our packaging
commits into that repo, and send out a patch to remove
build-support/packaging from our main sources repo.  I will also update
relevant docs in the source repo to point to the other repository.  Feel
free to follow the progress of this in the epic [3] i have for this.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AURORA-851
[2] https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/aurora-packaging.git
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AURORA-1424

-=Bill