I've been producing a set of Mesos debs that are not derived from the
Mesosphere packages, with the goal of having a set of debs that follow
Debian conventions and packaging policies as closely as I can get them.
For instance, rather than a single mesos.deb containing everything, there
are separate packages for libmesos, libmesos-dev, python-mesos,
mesos-master, and mesos-slave, with each having a corrected set of
dependencies.

I also decided to forego the init wrapper script from the mesosphere debs,
meaning that daemon configuration is handled via /etc/default/mesos-master
and /etc/default/mesos-slave rather than many files in /etc/mesos/*
/etc/mesos-master/* /etc/mesos-slave/*, and daemon log output is handled by
upstart rather than piped to syslog.

My source tree can be found at
https://github.com/benley/mesos/tree/debian-packaging

I've published a set of the resulting debs for Ubuntu 14.04 at
http://zoiks.net/~benley/debs/mesos/ if anyone wants to check them out.
They depend on libnl, which is backported for trusty at
http://zoiks.net/~benley/debs/libnl/.

All of this is a continuation of work that was begun by jfarrell, so thanks
are due to him for providing a starting point.

If people find these alternative packages useful I'd be happy to contribute
the sources to the mesos project in whatever way is appropriate.  I'm also
open to suggestions for things to change about the builds, of course.