Some time ago I did a very quick and rough POC integrating scheduler
with Fenzo just to evaluate how it may fit into our architecture.
Surprisingly, it took just a few lines [1] to plug it in (without
constraints support of course, which is a much bigger effort). There
was also a big chunk of functionality missing that would allow us to
support task preemption within Fenzo. I spoke with Sharma back then
and he had intention to explore adding it. Not sure where it ended up
though.

I still think we should explore Fenzo integration idea as it will
unlock various rich bin packing algorithms we may never get to
implement. I have heard other Mesos frameworks (besides internal
Netflix proprietary schedulers) are actively exploring Fenzo [2]. It's
interesting to see how Fenzo could help us reduce online fragmentation
and support features like soft constraints out of the box.

That said, I don't think Fenzo should be considered as a sole
scheduling algorithm but rather as a supported alternative (at least
in the first iteration). If anything, Fenzo onboarding exercise may
help us make scheduling architecture more modular and pluggable.

I agree with Bill though that adding Fenzo into Aurora should not be a
self-goal but rather a well justified effort that clearly outlines the
benefits. I'd suggest to whoever takes on exploring this route start
with an Aurora list discussion first.

Thanks,
Maxim

[1] -