The HTTP executor API sounds interesting and I would like to see it land in
Aurora one day.

As of today, I see two major hurdles with the libmesos dependency of the
executor:

a) Users have to ship Mesos dependencies within their Docker images
b) We need to build and upload the libmesos eggs whenever we want to upgrade to
a new Mesos version

Fortunately, even without the HTTP API, issue a) will be addressed by the
upcoming universal containerizer support in Aurora. The executor will be
running within the host filesystem rather than within the container filesystem.