I will try to summarize an off-list discussion so that more people can
participate:

Aurora has an unofficial way to launch Docker containers without Thermos.
Rather than using the Thermos executor, Mesos will directly call the container
entrypoint. This support was contributed by Bill
(https://reviews.apache.org/r/44685/ ). An additional patch by John
(https://reviews.apache.org/r/44745/ ) to expose this functionality within the
client job configuration was discarded due to missing consensus at the time.
This means, the entrypoint mode is only available for REST API users, and for
users with patched clients.

The goal of Nicolás is now to provide a graceful shutdown for containers
running without Thermos. He has prepared a minimal patch that sketches the idea
https://github.com/apache/aurora/compare/master...medallia:KillPolicyGracePeriod.

How do we want to proceed here? Do we plan to improve our Docker entrypoint
story? If yes, can we just re-open Johns RB and merge an extended version of
Nicolás change, or do we need some additional planning?

I am happy to hear what you think.