Hi,

I ran into a similar problem a while back. I have a project that generates Avro schemas from Eclipse EMF and creates a resource loader that stores EMF data in avro format instead of XMI. One of the problems that I ran into was a way to display the Avro schemas (avsc - not idl) so I created an XText parser for the schema. It works up to the point of having a type defined and then used later in the schema. The scoping rule built into XText needs to be modified, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Feel free to use anything useful you find here:
https://github.com/LangleyStudios/eclipse-avro

The XText schema for the AVSC is here:
https://github.com/LangleyStudios/eclipse-avro/blob/master/plugins/net.langleystudios.avro.dsl/src/net/langleystudios/dsl/AvroSchema.xtext

I would love to help out with an XText for Avro IDL.  XText is fun.

-J. Langley

Quoting Damiaan van der Kruk <damiaan.van.der.k...@gmail.com>:

Hallo,

I'm new here, so first a short introduction: I'm Damiaan and finished my
Master in Computer Science some months ago. I have worked at different
software companies where I used; Java, C#, JavaScript, modelling techniques
(like EMF, Xtext, Sirius) and more. I now working for a company who is
interested in using Avro and I want mostly likely contribute to it. For
this reason the following question:

Is there any syntax-directed editor for Avro IDL? I was searching around
and couldn't find any.

If it doesn't exists, I would like to create/contribute one based on Xtext
if you are interested? Also is there any language specification (in for
example EBNF) for the Avro IDL? I only found
https://avro.apache.org/docs/current/idl.html and some pages on the wiki.

Damiaan