Anand,

The problem looks like you're trying to convert regular JSON rather than
Avro JSON. Avro JSON adds an extra layer when storing unions that encodes
the type of the union option, which allows Avro to differentiate between
situations like floats and doubles that look identical in the JSON encoding.

If you want to convert normal JSON to an Avro schema, try using this reader:

https://github.com/rdblue/parquet-cli/blob/master/src/main/java/org/apache/parquet/cli/json/AvroJsonReader.java

rb

--
Ryan Blue