On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 3:45 PM, Doug Cutting <cutt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 8:40 PM, Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.invalid> wrote:
>> we don't have enough votes for a release
>
> I don't think that's true.  You might not have gotten enough votes
> within a few days.  I too have had that problem for several releases.
> But when that happened I would send personal messages to a few PMC
> members asking them if they had time to please review a release.  Some
> PMC members get busy with other things and fall behind on Avro emails.
> A few reminders never failed to rouse enough reviews & votes.

In HBase we've largely switched away from release votes that have a
fixed deadline due to the need to corral PMC votes.

Instead, we now state the minimum voting period (almost always 72hrs
per ASF policy) and set a courtesy notice of when the RM would like to
close the vote. Then we just keep pinging private@ or individuals
until we get enough votes for a result, or find something to start
getting -1s.

We could try something like that for a bit to see if "flog the bushes
for PMC participation" is enough to keep us on a steady stream of
releases.

It would also probably help to make explicit to the community that
showing up to test and vote on RCs is "acting like a PMC" in the eyes
of some number of current PMC members (it is for me, for example).

--
busbey