Hi Avro community,

Recently I have been experimenting with avro schema that are extended with
a "unit" field. By "unit" I mean expressions like "second", or "megabyte" -
that is "units of measure".

I delivered a short talk on my experiments at Berlin Buzzwords, which can
be viewed here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrQmB2KFKE8
I also wrote a short blog post that may be faster to ingest:
http://erikerlandson.github.io/blog/2019/05/23/unit-types-for-avro-schema-integrating-avro-with-coulomb/

I received some audience interest in making this concept "first class" for
avro, and so I'm writing to see what the avro dev community thinks of the
idea. One issue is that this kind of unit checking is currently only
available for Scala (and specifically scala 2.13 +).

The Scala project itself is here:
https://github.com/erikerlandson/coulomb

Cheers,
Erik