I like dependabot, and it takes out a lot of manual work -- the automatic
PRs are really quite nice, with all of the readily available links.

I don't really need or want to see one-liner JIRAs per minor bump,
especially if it's a manual task -- I don't think it adds much value, even
for automatically generating release notes!  I'd rather write this part of
the release notes manually by watching the git log.

On the other hand, if there is additional context (like protobuf this
time), or if the version bump requires discussion, or additional changes,
yeah, that's appropriate for a new JIRA!

Thanks for taking this task!  Ryan