It turns out that the Python implementation takes the last path that
matches.

Agreed that it's deterministic within a language, but it might round-trip
inconsistently.

For example, suppose Java takes the first path that matches, and Python
takes the last path that matches. Then, if I 1. serialize with Java, 2.
deserialize with Python, and 3. reserialize with Python, then the encoded
bytes will be different after 1 vs 3. Certainly, each will be able to read
the encoded data, but its binary representation has changed.

Maybe that's okay. It's a little unfortunate for writing tests, and
violates some expectations - you'd think that decoding and re-encoding
data, without changing anything in it, would not change its bytes on disk.