Hi,

I was thinking about some requirements for the logo.

For starters I was wondering where the name Avro actually came from. Is it
an abbreviation? Or does it have a different source (I'll always
like the Hadoop story)?

Note that in addition to the (defunct) Aircraft builder Avro there is also
a Dutch tv broadcaster called Avro ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVRO and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVROTROS ).

Regarding the logo itself I have these proposal points which are partially
generic and partially my personal opinion:

- Must be unique and not similar to anything "out there"
- Show either something of the name (Like  Beam, Airflow, Ant, Drill) or
what it does (like Mahout)
- Must be available in a vector format (SVG) so it can be scaled with full
accuracy.
- I like a few colors and for practical reasons I propose to limit it to
about 5-10. (so like Iceberg, not like Flex with the gradients)
- I think we will need 2 variants: Square/Circle (social media, favicon,
etc) and rectangle (top banner).

Niels Basjes

On Fri, Jun 24, 2022 at 5:40 PM Ryan Skraba <r...@skraba.com> wrote:

> I think the square (or round) canvas is a really good idea -- it would
> allow an Avro file to have a meaningful icon, for example, in a file
> explorer.
>
> For me, I'm not particularly attached to the current style, or colour,
> and I think giving some freedom to a designer could really bring
> something neat!
>
> Even if I'm fond of our existing logo, I'm always amazed at the
> beautiful logos that have been contributed to different projects
> (https://www.apache.org/logos/)
>
> The keywords I'd like to see evoked are: fast, small (efficient),
> reliable.  Wings fit those keywords but they aren't the only option
> (nor are those the only keywords).
>
> Ryan
>
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2022 at 10:16 AM Oscar Westra van Holthe - Kind
> <os...@westravanholthe.nl> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > To change the logo, I propose we gather both requirements and ideas.
> >
> > For example, I'd like a logo that fits better on a square or round
> canvas.
> > Especially at small sizes (icons), the current logo is too flat IMHO.
> >
> > On the same note, I like that the current logo allows varying degrees of
> > detail in the wings (for various sizes).
> >
> > As for ideas, mixing aviation with data flow usually gives you a mix of
> > wings and a wave. But there are already many logos in that theme...
> >
> > These are my 2ct..
> >

> > Oscar Westra van Holthe - Kind <os...@westravanholthe.nl>
> >
> > Op wo 22 jun. 2022 21:29 schreef Ryan Skraba <r...@skraba.com>:
> >
> > > Hello all!
> > >
> > > Even if our current logo is a nice homage, there are many, many
> > > advantages to using original art for a project logo, and it's
> > > important that there's no question of confusion with other marks.
> > >
> > > If we were to change the Avro logo, how would the community propose we
> > > go about doing it?  What would we like to see?
> > >
> > > Despite the horrible cliché of "paying a designer in exposure", it's
> > > kind of what we all do in Open Source!  I think it would be
> > > appropriate to give a nice shout-out on the project web page.
> > >
> > > My opinion: this doesn't block the 1.11.1 release, but it's something
> > > we should do in parallel, sooner rather than later, in order to be
> > > able to have project materials for ApacheCon in October.
> > >
> > > All my best, Ryan

Niels Basjes