On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 9:03 AM, Luciano Resende <luckbr1...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 5:42 AM, Robert Metzger <rmetz...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>

>> @Luciano: So the idea is to have separate repositories for each project
>> contributing connectors?
>> I'm wondering if it makes sense to keep the code in the same repository to
>> have some synergies (like the release scripts, CI, documentation, a common
>> parent pom with rat etc.). Otherwise, it would maybe make more sense to
>> create a Bahir-style project for Flink, to avoid maintaining completely
>> disjunct codebases in the same JIRA, ML, ...
>>

> But we most likely would have very different release schedules with the
> different set of extensions, where Spark extensions will tend to follow
> Spark release cycles, and Flink release cycles. As for the overhead, I
> believe release scripts might be the one piece that would be replicated,
> but I can volunteer the infrastructure overhead for now. All rest, such as
> JIRA, ML, etc will be common. But, anyway, I don't want to make this an
> issue for Flink to bring up the extensions here, so if you have a strong
> preference on having all in the same repo, we could start with that.
>
> Thoughts ?

I have thought more about the question about one combined repository versus
separate repositories per platform (e.g. Spark, Flink) and the more I think
I believe two repositories will be the best. Think about some of the
benefits listed below :

Multiple Repositories:
- Enable smaller and fast builds, as you don't have to wait on the other
platform extensions
- Simplify dependency management when different platforms use different
levels of dependencies
- Enable for more flexibility on releases, permitting disruptive changes in
one platform without affecting others
- Enable better versioning schema for different platforms (e.g. Spark
following the Spark release version schema, while Flink having it's own
schema)
- etc

One Repository
- Enable sharing common components (which in my view will be mostly
infrastructure pieces that once created are somewhat stable)

Thoughts ?

--
Luciano Resende
http://twitter.com/lresende1975