Your correct, a docker container is created that contains the execution
environment the user wants or the user re-uses an existing one (allowing
for a user to embed all their code/dependencies or use a container that can
deploy code/dependencies on demand).
A user creates a pipeline saying which docker container they want to use
(this starts to allow for multiple container definitions within a single
pipeline to support multiple languages, versioning, ...).
A runner would then be responsible for launching one or more of these
containers in a cluster manager of their choice (scaling up or down the
number of instances depending on demand/load/...).
A runner then interacts with the docker containers over the gRPC service
definitions to delegate processing to.