Hello,

I'm testing the KafkaIO with Google Cloud dataflow and getting warnings when working with compacted logs. In the code there is a relevant check:

https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/master/sdks/java/io/kafka/src/main/java/org/apache/beam/sdk/io/kafka/KafkaIO.java#L1158

// sanity check
if (offset != expected) {
  LOG.warn("{}: gap in offsets for {} at {}. {} records missing.",
      this, pState.topicPartition, expected, offset - expected);
}

From what I understand, this can happen when log compaction is enabled because the relevant entry can get cleaned up by Kafka with a newer one. In this case, shouldn't this be a info log and / or warn only when log compaction is disabled for the topic?

I'm still debugging some stuff because the pipeline also stops reading on compacted logs, I'm not sure if this related / could also be an issue with my Kafka test installation, but as far as I understand the gaps are expected behaviour with log compaction enabled.

Thanks,
Elmar