There are quite a few customers using KafkaIO with Dataflow. All of them
are potential users of exactly-once sink. Dataflow Pubsub sink does not
support EOS yet. Even among those customers, I do expect fraction of
applications requiring EOS would be pretty small, that's why I don't think
extra shuffles are too expensive in overall cost yet.

It is also not clear how Flink's 2-phase commit sink function could be used
in Beam's context. Beam could add some checkpoint semantics to state-API so
that all the runners could support in platform specific way.

Took a look at Flink PR, commented on a few issues I see in comments there
: https://github.com/apache/flink/pull/4239. May be an extra shuffle or
storing all them messages in state can get over those.