I suspect that you might be hitting Dataflow API limit for messages during
initial splitting the source. Some details are available under "Total
number of BoundedSource objects" below (you should see a similar message in
worker logs but exact error message might be out of date).
https://cloud.google.com/dataflow/pipelines/troubleshooting-your-pipeline

The exact number of files you can support depends on the size of generated
splits (usually about 400k for TextIO).

One solution for this is to develop a ReadAll() transform for VcfSource
similar to the following available for TextIO.
https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/master/sdks/python/apache_beam/io/textio.py#L409

Thanks,
Cham