Sweat !!!

Thanks Eugene.

As part of my current work on ParquetIO, I will take a look !

Regards
JB

On 12/19/2017 11:41 PM, Eugene Kirpichov wrote:
Hey all,

A while ago I proposed an API http://s.apache.org/fileio-write .
It has just landed on master https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/3817, in somewhat improved form compared to the initial proposal.

I think it's a cool API and I'm excited that it'll be in Beam 2.3. Please give it a try (e.g. by using 2.3.0-SNAPSHOT) :)

Check out some examples in the Javadoc e.g. https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/master/sdks/java/core/src/main/java/org/apache/beam/sdk/io/FileIO.java#L242

The main selling points are:
- It is really really easy to write files of a custom format using this API (example above shows how one could write List<String>'s to CSV with a header). - The API is very Java8-friendly (much more so than the current DynamicDestinations APIs in TextIO/AvroIO, which I would like to deprecate in Beam 2.3) - It gives a common API to use for various file-based IOs that want to get all the fancy features - e.g. https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/4294 shows how to do that with TFRecordIO and XmlIO: they previously didn't have access to features like dynamic destinations, and now they do: you can use TFRecordIO.sink() and XmlIO.sink() with FileIO.write() or writeDynamic().

Thanks to +Reuven Lax <mailto:re...@google.com> and +Chamikara Jayalath <mailto:chamik...@google.com> for reviews.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbono...@apache.org