Thanks Davor for bringing this discussion up!

I particularly like that you listed the different areas of improvement and proposed to assign people based on their tastes.

I wanted to add a point about consistency across runners, but through the dev point of view: I've been working on a trans-runner feature lately (metrics push agnostic of the runners) for which I compared the behavior of the runners and wired up this feature into the flink and spark runners themselves. I must admit that I had a hard time figuring out how to wire it up in the different runners and that it was completely different between the runners. Also, their use (or non-use) of runner-core facilities vary. Even in the architecture of the tests: some, like spark, own their validates runner tests in the runner module and others runners run validates runner tests that are owned by sdk-core module. I also noticed some differences in the way to do streaming test: for some runners to trigger streaming mode it is needed to use an equivalent of direct runner's TestStream in the pipeline but for others putting streaming=true in pipelineOptions is enough.

=> long story short, IMHO I think that It could be interesting to enhance the runner API to contain more than run(). This could have the benefit to increase the coherence between runners. Besides we would need to find the correct balance between too many methods in the runner api that would reduce the flexibility of the runner implementations and too few methods that would reduce the coherence between the runners.

=>In addition, to enhance the coherence (dev point of view) between the runners, having all the runners run the exact same validates runner tests in both batch and streaming modes would be awesome!

Another thing: big +1 to have a programmatic way of defining the capability matrix as Romain suggested.

Also agree on Ismaël's point about too flexible concepts across runners (termination, bundling, ...)

Also big +1 to what Jessee wrote. I was myself in the past in the user architect position, and I can confirm that all the points that he mentioned are accurate.

Best,

Etienne