> What kinds of features would this enable within the Apache Beam SDK or
> allow for users to write (looking for some reason as to why this is not
> just a one off change to support a use case)?

It allows to build a classpath and to rely on beam without requiring maven
to resolve the poms and it is way faster than resolving pom model. I full
ack it is a bit limit like case but it doesn't cost much to beam too so
thought I could ask before
doing something 100% custom.

> Would it list all the transitive dependencies?

all runtime ones (= not test and provided ones - even if i can live with it
listing them all, I just don't see why it would)

> How would you test that it works?

It is a maven plugin so not sure it requires a test in beam itself but on
my side I have some test for this kind of thing already running a server
from this kind of file typically.